Can I start my data science journey with Python?

analytics
python

Hi,

I am new to data science domain and want to start with Python. Can I start learning Python without any prior experience of SAS or any other statistical tool?

Thx,
Rahul

Rahul,

From a capability stand point, nothing stops you from doing so. Python is easy to learn with some really good libraries to help you out.

But, I would first ask you to consider following 2 questions:

1. Why do you want to learn data science?: If you are learning it so that you can get a job in future - SAS or R would be better bets to do so. Combined SAS and R would have more than 70% job market share. Python, on the other hand is relatively new and there aren’t many MNCs using it as their first preference for data science projects. On the other hand, if you are working in a e-Commerce start-up, then learning Python can come in very handy. You can not only benefit in web development, but can deploy your projects very quickly on the web.

2. How much coding experience do you have? If you have none, I would suggest to stick with SAS or Python. R can be a bit un-nerving as first language to learn at times.

Hope this helps,
Kunal