Can R and SAS be simultaneously learnt ? (Time constraint)

r
sas
excel
statistics

Hi,

Please advise on the following questions:

1. Can we learn R and SAS tool at the same time since time and age is very much constraint, I would want to learn both R and SAS ( though I have started with SAS since 15 days) as I’m very much interested to work as an Analyst and apply for the job as a fresher. Say 5 hours in a week for SAS and remaining 5 hours in a week for R apart from Working hours. Is it possible?

2. Does “Data Science Specialization” course offered by St. John Hopkins University under Coursera is a good option to learn R and Statistical concepts related to it?

3. Apart from R & SAS, which are the other tools that required to be learnt for an analyst and the roadmap for it.

4. What exactly needs to be learnt w.r.t Excel and SQL?

5. Please recommend on learning Statistics w.r.t to Analytics and Data Science.

Any recommendations, suggestions and useful information is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Mohammed

Mohammed,

Here is my take on these questions:

1. Yes, it is possible! There is nothing which stops you to do so. However, I think you can get far better yield of the time & efforts, if you spend time on a single tool. At the end of the day, the tool is a way to enable a piece of analysis. Most of the common pieces of analysis can be done in both, R as well as SAS. I would say that you become better on a single tool and learn the statistics and the science in the data science, rather than focusing on different tools.

2. Yes, it is a good specialization. But, it is a bit dilute, if you can spend 10 - 15 hours a week. If you can spend so much time, I would recommend The Analytics Edge on edx.

3. Again, I would recommend to take one step at a time. Focus on one tool, learn the techniques. Apply your knowledge to a few datasets and business problems. If you still feel the need, that is when you should go for a second tool.

4. On Excel, you should know VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, Conditional formating and ability to create good financial models. You should know basics of SQL as well.

5. You can look at the statistics courses on Udacity (Descriptive and Inferential Statistics).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kunal