Career in Analytics for experienced professionals

sas
certification

Hi all,

I wanted some guidance regarding Analytics as a career.

I am currently working with an IT MNC as a Sr. Business Analyst and have around 10.5 years of overall experience. I am working in the Analytics team here using mainly the office tools like, word,excel and power point including VBA. We do a lot of data analytics and advisory work, creating regular reports and presentations for various reviews. We participate in the cadence calls along with the clients to understand the actions and happenings and build our observations around them to be put in the presentation deck.

Since it has been a long time in the same domain and the same company without much
progress, I skilled up myself on SAS (as I found that as the most appropriate; after research). I did it from a pvt. Institute and also doing a project on it at present. But at times I feel whether I took the right decision by choosing SAS as I don’t use it in current designation and neither I’ve past experience of it so not at par with the other experienced SAS professionals.

I am also confused that with 10.5 years of work experience and fresh knowledge of SAS what sort of profile I will get. Of course, I don’t want a fresher’s job.

My expectation is that I get a consultant and advisory role in analytics domain
(as per my experience and skill set) with SAS implementation (i.e. not core SAS programming or development).

I am totally confused at this juncture as I need to change my job soon but at the same time I am unable to figure out how to take it ahead.

I would be grateful for any kind of guidance provided by you.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else regarding my professional experience,
I would be happy to oblige.

Thanks a lot for your help.

@analytics_fan

I think that the decision to pursue a SAS certification was a good move. If you would have asked me what to do at that juncture, I would have also suggested SAS.

However, I understand that the industry looks out for people with work experience and you have not got that under your belt. The best thing to do at this stage is to work on a few projects by yourself. For example, create a portfolio of problems you have worked on and keep it ready to showcase for a consultant role.

You can also take up some analytics assignments on some of the other tools or look at some projects on open data.

Another option can be to undergo a series of SAS certifications from SAS institute and then take up a job with one of the SAS implementation partner. After working for a few years in that role, you can always look at consultant roles independently.

Hope these 2 options make sense.

Regards,
Kunal

Hi Kunal,
Thanks for your reply but I need some clarification on your suggestions.
Option1: The best thing to do at this stage is to work on a few projects by yourself. For example, create a portfolio of problems you have worked on and keep it ready to showcase for a consultant role.

1. Like I had said, whatever problems or assignments I’ve received till now in my career, I have done using MS Office tools (power point , advanced excel and VBA). So how do I keep them ready for a SAS consultant role if I am applying for one or are you suggesting something else?
  2. Also, when you suggest to keep the portfolio of problems ready to showcase, hope you don’t want me to put them on my CV but just keep them handy with me to be spoken about during the interview?
    You can also take up some analytics assignments on some of the other tools or look at some projects on open data.
  3. I didn’t understand this, why do you suggest to take up assignments on some of the other tools as I have been trained on SAS and don’t know other tools (if you mean R,SPSS etc.)?
  4. Also, can you suggest some online portals which can give me a chance to do some Assignments/Projects on SAS to begin with.

Option 2:Another option can be to undergo a series of SAS certifications from SAS institute and then take up a job with one of the SAS implementation partner. After working for a few years in that role, you can always look at consultant roles independently.

1. Who are the SAS implementation partners and how would I be able to
    get into them without prior experience of SAS?

Thanks again for taking time out to guide me. I really appreciate your help.