Career shift from auditing to Analytics

analytics

Hi,

I have done B.com(H) in 2015 and currently working as an “Audit Associate” in EY. It has been almost 3 months in EY but when I look at my further career, I see analytics as one of the thing which is huge in demand and also I have done one month internship in R statistical tool in a company during my college days. That internship has really helped me to understand the concept, future demand for analytics and has really developed great interest for analytics in me. Although I have just joined EY but my mind is still there for analytics.

But when I try to find solution for it by looking at the option that I’ve got, I find myself in really confusing situation.

I will have option to do analytics courses from institutes like jigsaw or analytics lab, that offers wide range of courses and have good market value as well that has been shown by their rankings.
But again, I felt that will I be able to get job after doing certification courses from there, moreover I also really doubt that the audit experience will add values to my career in analytics.

Its just early start of my career and really want to give a try in analytics. Please guide me in this on the basis of my current job profile will it helps in my career ahead in analytics ? Also is it difficult for a commerce graduate to get a job in analytics?

Hi,

I was expecting a reply on above queries.

Please reply ASAP.

Hey Jassal,

One year ago I found myself in your current position. I live in Mexico, and I understand the labour marketplace can be tougher elsewhere (my guess is you’re Indian, which may be a tougher market labour by far).

I will tell you what I have done to reverse such a situation:

1. Set priorities: what do I want to do for a living, what do I want to do with my leisure time, what do I want to do to stay in shape.
  2. Look for a short, mid and long-term path: Ask people who are professionals in the fields of your like “what it takes to get here and there?” Don’t play with this. Don’t be frustrated. What we think is the right way of doing stuff (maybe studying a MSc. in Statistics, for instance) may or may not be of any help in pursuing your dreams.
  3. It’s more than just your career. We latinos have something to teach the world: family, friends, religion and party are all important in your pursuit of happinness. I understand Asia can be a tough place to work. But don’t forget about “the other stuff”.
  4. Don’t quit your job now. Stay there, it’s going to give you some extra points when looking for a job in analytics. Ernst & Young, besides, is a respected multinational, they know it in almost every country in this world. Don’t lose your head, look for another job, which ligns up better with your likes and interests. And stay there while you find something good.

So, that’s it.

Greetings from Mexico!!

Hi Ocarreon,

Thanks a lot for your advise. Now, I really want to start chasing my dreams in analytics.

All i need is just a good start, so I want to enroll myself for a short term analytics courses from jigsaw or analytixlab or any other institute.

Can you guide me about what should be my first step to start my career ? and are these courses enough to get a job ?

I really want to take steps forward.

Please guide me in this.

I would request KUNAL also to give his precious advise.

Hi Rjassal,

You have mentioned that you have completed your B.Com(H) in 2015 and currently working in EY. You are just fresh out of the college and does not have much experience. So, transitioning to other field like analytics will not be a problem at all. It is more difficult switch and take job in analytics for mid level experienced people with different domain.

My suggestion:-
First- Stick to your current job now. And parallel follow one of the “Learning Path” mentioned in the “Analytics Vidya” for self learning. I believe that is the best way of learning. Else you can choose Jigsaw but that I find costly. Infact Udacity online course specialization in Data Analysis or Machine Learning Engineer is great. Program is created by Google. But choice is yours.

Second:- Believe me. Please Please Please Please don’t think much about job, salary etc. These are something which unnecessarily distract. You need to understand market is huge for Data analytic or Data Science professional. If you are good you will not have any problem. Just work hard for a year in R/Python, Machine Learning, Visualization Tools, Hadoop/Spark etc. Stay updated. Build 10-15 good project portfolio in Github. Be active in analytics community. Try to engage yourself with some startups. There are plenty. Offer them data related solutions free of cost or at a cost if they are ready to pay. Be recognized. I am sure you will not have issue finding a job irrespective of you coming from B.Com. It is really not tough.

Third:- There are many places where you can even look for freelance jobs on portals like Toptotal, Kaggle, Analytics Vidya, and many others. Startups are hugely looking for it. Opportunity is huge. Don’t think much. Just jump into it. You are currently at best time. For people in mid level experience, changing domain becomes much difficult.

So in short. Just jump to learn without thinking much. Choosing analytics as a career is a great move.

@rjassal

Just to add to what @samirkumar1813 has mentioned already, you can start the learning in parallel to your current job. EY has a analytics team as well. Once you have spent some time in current job and have learnt the basics on the subject, you can switch internally in EY or look for job elsewhere.

Typically internal job switches are easier than the eternal ones.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kunal

I entirely agree with Samir Kumar: it’s better to profit from the great community in Data Analytics and don’t spend your money at the beginning. Take a year to learn the fundamentals of programming (R or Python are great for people like us, beginners) before you go on with paid programs. Then pay for it, it will be worthy.

And, as Kunal says, take a look at EY in your community or your cities of interest. Know if they have something great in analytics. 1-5 years from now, as you master Data Science, you will be in a unique position both as an insider and a great human resource for the company. It will pay off!!