Chi-square test, Fischer's exact test failed. What are the alternatives to find out the relation between independent categorical variables?

correlation
python

I am using python and it is not a 2X2 contingency table. My contingency table also has some ZERO frequency cells.

Regards
Akshay

Hi,

If they are strictly categorical variables (not ordinal), one thing you can try is to one hot encode each category and then just have a look at the pearson correlation for each pair of new columns created. This should give you a fair idea of relation between each the categorical variables.

Regards
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

Is this what you are referring to? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_correlation_coefficient. I don’t think this is useful for discrete data. Also, it gives a linear correlation which doesn’t make any sense. If that is what you are not referring to, please share the appropriate link.

Thanks
Akshay

Fisher-Freeman-Halton test, an extension of the Fisher exact can be applied for contingency tables that are not 2x2.

Here

Thanks @eagle. I came across the above link you shared but I am looking for a more custom solution contingency table of dimensions mXn. The FFH test is only for 3X3 tables.

Hi @akshay.kotha

as you have n*r use log linear it will prove the independence.

Alain

Hi @Lesaffrea,

Could you please elaborate on this?

Akshay