(For People having work ex in different domain) Learn the skill of transitioning your Career in Data science

experienced

I have been spending quite a time on Analytics Vidhya and every now and then I find people asking this very important question. I get this from a lot of Analytics Vidhya users. I understand that there are already blogs where people are already telling you what to do. On those blogs, advice template is all same (Build your GitHub profile, look for internships/ job and hope that someone will hire). However, It is not very easy to get an internship/job for people with years of experience in their current field. So I thought of writing this post which

It is indeed difficult to look for the opportunity when you do not have experience in relevant field.
My advice is to do couple of things.

1. Many people have multiple years of experience which is not in data science experience. I would suggest you to look for Data science projects in your current organization. Look for problems in your organization and decide if Machine learning/data science can help to solve those. Once you have completed a couple of projects and shown that you can do some projects in data science. try the lateral entry into your organization data science team (if there is any). if not, try building a team.
  2. Go for hackathons which are getting organized in India. Competing on Kaggle is very good. But employers do not consider the kaggle projects as work ex. At least local hackathons give you the networking opportunity. Also, some hackathons, if you win, can land you a job in this domain.
  3. Go for Data science/Machine learning meetups. Network a lot, talk to people, tell them about yourself and see if you can find a common ground where you can help them with something. People are much more prone to help the people from which they have already got some help.
  4. Do the freelancing. It will get you started on your relevant work experience as you will be working on a client project.

Hope I was able to give you some points regarding it.

To be fair:
This advice is coming up from a Mechanical engineer with 7 years of experience in the semiconductor industry and I am following up the same path which I am suggesting you do. I have been able to find some light on this path as my organization’s management has agreed to start some projects on Data science.

I will keep updating this post to make it more organized. I am writing this while I am travelling so time is very limited on my side.

I’m also facing similar problem I have 2.3 yrs of experience from electronics background . every time i face interview they asked me about relevant experience in this field

@deva123,

I share your thought on this. It is indeed very difficult.

You could try the things I have suggested in my post. I had a reasonable success with that. Currently I have got the approval to work on a data science project within my organization because of this.

Regards,
Vikas