Friday Funalytics! Share your favourite data science / analytics / statistics jokes or cartoons

analytics

Dear Readers,

Our initiative of funalytics aims to let people know that analytics can be a lot more Fun!
All you need to do is:-

Share your favourite data science/statistics/analytics jokes, cartoons & quotes with us.

P.S - Please make sure that the joke/cartoon/quotes that you share is attributed to its creator. Reference link will also work.

Hi,

One joke which comes in my mind is -
“You are so mean that your standard deviation is zero.”

and this Image -

Regards,
Aayush Agrawal

Hey!

@aayushmnit Loved the joke! haha! :smiley:
This is a hilarious one I found a few days back.

Reference: (https://www.pinterest.com/jillthompsong/stats-jokes/)

Hi !

This one I have liked a lot on Outliers.

Source: (http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/humor.html)

Here are a few I liked from XKCD:

This one is related to ratings in app store

How about not labeling your graphs properly?

Correlation and causation:

Importance of graphs:

This one is on Null Hypothesis:

-XKCD

Some more XKCD:

And the most recent which was quite popular around the web:

For those not familiar with XKCD: First, welcome to the world around the rock you were hiding under thus far ;); second, sometimes the punch-line is found in a mouse-over text on the image, so be sure to visit the website.

Some good ones here!

However, I am sad to see Dilbert missing from these posts:

There are many more good ones from Dilbert, but I can post only one image :frowning: …keep posting guys!

D

some jokes in economics

http://decisionstats.com/2009/02/26/jokes-in-economics/

Economics is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel Prize for saying exactly the opposite thing.�
Humor is evolving, now we have a refinement:“Economics is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel Prize for saying the opposite thing” is true, but is not strong enough. Better:

“Economics is the only field in which two people can share a Nobel Prize for saying opposing things.” Specifically, Myrdal and Hayek shared one.

Roberto Alazar

�(A rumor has it that there was a similar case in neuroscience, Golgi and Cajal, maybe economists are not so different!)
Heard at the Wharton School.

Man walking along a road in the countryside comes across a shepherd and a huge flock of sheep. Tells the shepherd, “I will bet you $100 against one of your sheep that I can tell you the exact number in this flock.” The shepherd thinks it over; it’s a big flock so he takes the bet. “973,” says the man. The shepherd is astonished, because that is exactly right. Says “OK, I’m a man of my word, take an animal.” Man picks one up and begins to walk away.

“Wait,” cries the shepherd, “Let me have a chance to get even. Double or nothing that I can guess your exact occupation.” Man says sure. “You are an economist for a government think tank,” says the shepherd. “Amazing!” responds the man, “You are exactly right! But tell me, how did you deduce that?”

“Well,” says the shepherd, “put down my dog and I will tell you.

A statistician’s wife had twins. He was delighted. He rang the minister who was also delighted. “Bring them to church on Sunday and we’ll baptize them,” said the minister. “No,” replied the statistician. “Baptize one. We’ll keep the other as a control.”

STATS: The Magazine For Students of Statistics, Winter 1996, Number 15

Dilbert has it Right!!

Hi,
I found this really funny especially when working with large amounts of data.

Information vs Confusion

Nice use of outlier…
Don’t play with Lady mathematician :kissing_heart: :wink:

A meme on Deep Learning

Ref: https://adeshpande3.github.io/adeshpande3.github.io/The-9-Deep-Learning-Papers-You-Need-To-Know-About.html

I find this joke on recommendation systems (or market basket) quite funny. This is what our model will look like offline. :smiley:

basket_analysis_joke

What is machine learning if not this :grin:

Deep Learning taken to a whole new level

Fraud! Where’s your neural network?