How to run R on Jupyter ipython Notebooks?

r
ipython

Hello R Users

Recently, I came across ipython notebooks by Jupyter. Is there any use we run / install R on these notebooks? Considering, these are massive number of R users across the world, I presume there must be some hack / technique to install R on these notebooks.

I am keen to find this out. Please help!

Regards
Indu

Hello Indu

Have you installed any ipython notebook in your machine yet?
Anyways, I’m going to elaborate the steps that helped me to run R on Jupyter ipython notebooks from scratch.

To enable R in Jupyter, you will need IRKernel (dedicated kernel for R) which is available at github. Below are the complete steps which I followed:

Step1: Download Anaconda from here: Anaconda Download In simple words, ipython notebooks live in Anaconda software. It is highly recommended for Jupyter notebooks

**Step 2:** After you've successfully downloaded, open 'Anaconda Command Prompt'. Faster way is to search it in your OS. Anaconda command prompt looks like this.
**Step 3:** Now type the following commands in prompt
ipython notebook

Voila! you’ve finally started your first ipython notebook. It looks like this:

Click on ‘New’ on the right. You will only find Python 2 in your notebooks section. Lets add R now.

Step 4: Update your ipython notebook with this command (screenshot below)

conda update ipython-notebook

Step 5: Install IRkernel (screenshot below)

conda install -c r ipython-notebook r-irkernel

Step 6: You can now open R in your commands prompt with this command.

R.exe

Step 7: Install some necessary packages used by R kernel on ipython notebook

install.packages(c('rzmq','repr','IRkernel','IRdisplay'), repos = 'http://irkernel.github.io/', type = 'source')

Step 8: After the packages are successfully downloaded and installed. Type this:

IRkernel::installspec()

Step 9: Type quit

quit()

**Step 10:** Start your ipython notebook now
ipython notebook

Congratulations! You’ve now installed R in your ipython notebook.

**Click on R and start working.**

@indutaneja11 Just to add to what Manish has already stated: if you’re primarily an R user and are planning to install Jupyter via Anaconda, I would recommend Miniconda instead (it’s from the same people). It’s about a tenth of the size and installs only the most basic packages, on top of which you can install whatever else you want (using the steps provided above).

Excellent stuff Manish! Thanks for this. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Aarshay :slight_smile:

If you have Anaconda installed on your machine…then just type
conda install -c r r-essentials
on your terminal & it will install R kernal as well as some of the important R packages (like dplyr, ggplot2 etc).
For more details look at this link - https://www.continuum.io/blog/developer/jupyter-and-conda-r

Does anybody know where the kernel.json for R is located? I can find the kernels of my base Anaconda and envs in “/user/.../jupyter/kernels/”, in the “python2” and “python3” subfolders, but no “r” subfolder is present here.
Thank you!

This is the best way to do it.

Another useful link which helped me is https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tasks/use-r-with-conda.html .