Logistic Regression not giving categorical output

r
logistic_regression

Hi All,
I am new to Analytics. I have tried using Logistic Regression for the first time for Loan Prediction problem
When i am trying to predict the Loan_Status variable i am getting the probability after using Logistic regression which is continuous.
I thought i would be getting categorical output like 0 and 1. What i am missing here.Is anything more i have to do .
I used
mylogit<- glm(formula=Loan_Status~.,data = train,family = binomial)
test$Loan_Status<-predict(mylogit,newdata = test,type=“response”)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Rahul

Hi @rahul.ranjan,
Logistics regression outputs the probability of a particular event happening as you see it uses exponential terms in denominator, you have to use a threshold value (say .5 ) to output the result as 0 or 1. You can use the following code to output the result as 0 or 1 :

test$Loan_Status = as.numeric(test$Loan_Status> 0.5)

On the other hand choosing the value of threshold is somewhat tricky, Over time you will get the hang of it. For now you can try these two methods :

1. Hit and trial.
  2. Plotting ROC curve - It is a more sophisticated way for finding the threshold. You can go through this link.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Danish

Hi Danish,

Thanks it helped alot.

hi rahul,

logistic regression model will give you probabilities .

As the evaluation metrix is Accuracy . You should ideally take the predicted and Accuracy values of each row and then consider the threshold value(predicted) for which accuracy is maximum which could be 0.5 or anything.