Poll: Will Artificial Intelligence be biggest existential threat to humanity?

ai

You might have heard the thought leaders (e.g. Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking) take sides on this debate. Here is your chance to do so.

Do you think Artificial Intelligence will be the biggest existential threat to humanity in days to come?

• Yes, it will be!
  • No, it is a far-fetched idea!
  • I have no views on the topic

If you want to share your thoughts, please feel free to post them below.

Machines takes emotionless decisions based on the data that has been fed. It has its own advantages and disadvantages.

First problem with this question, it assumes scientists have good idea of how brain works and can recreate it. I don’t think either is true. Current “A.I.” algorithms are data processing algorithms, but they don’t generate new ideas. they don’t have their own thoughts, and goals. now, someone might generate AI robots/programs that could be used against other people, and that might kill off humanity, but it would be more of a mistake.

The question posed here goes a step above the current debate which is about whether A.I. will be a threat at all. I don’t have a horse in that race, because I’m thoroughly inexperienced to have an informed opinion. However, I think there are far worse things that will pose a greater threat to humanity much sooner than Terminator can. Climate change, for example. Or yet another Bush coming to power in 2016. :wink:

I think this is a far fetched idea! Extrapolating very far in the universe.

Here is a couple of nice article on the subject for some leisure time read:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

I think yes the way Artificial intelligence algorithms are evolving we have already seen machine getting past human in Chess.
Secondly by advent of machine learning we have started understanding images and in some cases apply rationality to things.

I’m sorry but I disagree. Animals, in particular dogs and other domesticated beasts have been recognising humans and other objects for tens of thousands of years, yet currently we don’t live in a world ruled by animals (not to be confused with people who behave in a similar way ;)).

No way, No human being could be efficient enough to replicate common sense through algorithms. And, without common sense, no machine is a threat to human beings.