Seeking advice to switch my career to analytics

certification
iimc
praxis

Hi Everyone,

I am working as Derivative Trader in US markets (from india) for 3 years. I am very much interested in Analytics and I have done Base SAS certification. I have also learnt Basic statistics(correlation, f test, Chi-square test, multiple linear regression). I am also learning R from coursera, udacity.

I am applying for almost all analytics profile(0-3 yrs). But I am not getting any positive response from the industry. Now, I looking for full time course to start my career in this field. I came across two colleges IIMC(integrated, 2 yrs) and praxis. I am not looking for part-time courses because of my strict 12 hour job+CAT preparation and I know, I am not going to survive in my current profession for more then 3 months.

My questions are:
1 Is this the only way to start my career or switching job is possible?
2 Since IIMC has only 60 seats, I would like to know about praxis placements.
3 Is there any better option then these colleges?
4 What should be the CAT score to target these colleges?

Additional Info: B-Tech(Civil Engg) IIT BHU.

Any expert advice would be very helpful.

PS: Sorry for bad english.

@utkarsh,

If I am not mistaken, you are referring to the joint course offered by IIM Cal, ISI and IIT Kharagpur? You can refer to a similar discussion on this portal before:

http://discuss.analyticsvidhya.com/t/pgdba-from-iit-iim-c-isi-vs-praxis-business-school-pgpba/526

Here are the answers to the specific questions asked by you:

1. No, there are other ways as well. This might be probably the best bet for you, given your work experience. Other ways would include learning / getting an advanced certificate on one of the tools (either SAS or R).

2. You can look at the article and the comments here: http://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2015/04/review-business-analytics-post-graduate-program-praxis-business-school-kolkata/

3. These are the best options for full time programs

4. These colleges do not require CAT score mandatorily. You can apply with other scores as well.

I personally think that you should just focus on one path and then pursue it without getting confused. If you start leaning SAS - focus on SAS. If you learn R, then focus on R. Trying to do everything at once will ensure you do nothing.

Regards,
Kunal

@kunal

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful. I am looking for CAT because I haven’t given any aptitude exam uptill now and I can join these colleges for next year only.

Yes, you have guessed the course correctly(IIM Cal, ISI and IIT Kharagpur).

Other links are also very helpful.

Thanks a lot