Warning : longer object length is not a multiple of shorter object length

r

I am trying to add two vectors in R but I am getting the warning" longer object length is not a multiple of shorter object length" what does this warning signify??

I am adding
c(1, 2, 3, 4) + c(0, 10, 100)

Your function results in 1 12 300 4. Now that may be what you meant to do, but R is nice enough to warn you that it may have not been intended. One vector has 4 items, the other only has 3. They don’t match. And furthermore, you cannot copy the smaller one again to match the length of the bigger one (not a multiple). Some people realize that this was a mistake and add another element to the second to have equal amounts.

The evaluator added:

1+0=1, 2+10=12, 3+100=300, 4+? (whoa there aren't anymore values in the 2nd vector)

It noticed that you didn’t have another value to match with 4. So it started again at the beginning of the 2nd vector, 0, and continued the addition:

4+0=4

That is called recycling. It recycles the smaller vector to finish the operation. The warning just says, “Beware, R recycled the second vector for you and didn’t use all of them. Check to make sure this is what you wanted.”